market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Wire deer guards

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Wire deer guards
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:54:16 -0500

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:41:08AM -0400, Allan Balliett wrote:
> if we're thinking ecologically: is there really any function for deer
> in the lowlands? What would the consequences be if they were 'gone'?
> With all the crop damage and now Lyme (which has hit both my dogs
> and, probably, me), why put up with 'em? -Allan in WV

I've read, and I have no reason to doubt, that there are far more deer
in the North America now than there were before Europeans came. There
are vast urban and rural areas now where it is not permissible to thin
them. Not to mention the gentleman land owners that cultivate them for
their supposed decorative value.

We need more cougars! That would also do wonders for the un-kept pet
and stray dog problems. Reminds me of an old joke. A couple of
hippies living by a pond were bothered by frog croaking all through the
night. Perhaps impaired from smoking dope, one went out and found an
alligator and introduced it to the pond. Instant quiet. The other
hippie was pleased with the results, but the mental haze cleared and he
thought: "Yeah, we fixed those frogs. Now, all we have is ALLIGATORS."

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 186 days 5 hours 39 minutes