market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:18:14 -0400

On Sat, 31 May 2008 21:20:43 -0500, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Guess I'm at a loss as to what to do.  My farm is thick with bees, but they
> don't like the berries.  I haven't seen much of anything on the blooms.  Any
> ideas?

You mentioned your hives were 50 yards away, which seems plenty close to me,
but I guess if I had the option, I'd move them closer to see if it helps.

Also, are you growing anything else on the farm that blooms at the same time
in large quantity? If so, and you can afford to not do so, that might be an
option. But I'm just guessing.

As an experiment, you might put a flowering potted plant the bees love in the
midst of the blackberries, to see if they avoid the berries even while among
them. Seems unlikely. How about growing buckwheat or clover in the pathways
as an attractant?

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/