market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harvest containers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons family <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harvest containers
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:24:56 -0700

I see you are in Arizona so shipping may guide your choice.  We're happy with our containers from http://www.dacocorp.com (but we can pick them up at the warehouse).  Look in the bargain section for hand held containers -this is where you can find quantities less than a pallet.  Having sturdy containers that stack or nest has been such a help in getting ready for market.  The drain tray doesn't stack, but has been valuable for washing and draining many different vegetables.   The stacking/nesting containers with solid bottom and side holes allow you to pull them along a row without getting dirt inside usually, and later when packing vegetables, to leave a bit of water in the bottom if you need too.  These containers stack nicely, can be used to build displays as they empty at market, and are all around useful. The stackable containers are sturdy,  but we've only used them for 3 years at this point. We got the drain trays used, at a liquidator's, about 15 years ago and haven't damaged them ourselves yet.
The two we use the most:
Stack & Nest Box
Solid Bottom, Side Holes
23.6"x15.37"x7" - Yellow -