market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Monoculture v.s. diversified plantings?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Monoculture v.s. diversified plantings?
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 13:12:04 -0500

We are pretty diversified, but over the years have weeded out the crops that don't bring enough per square foot (sweet corn, melons), don't sell well in our market (hot peppers), or are typically sold at bargain basement prices by other vendors (bell peppers).  We only have a little over 2 acres in production, so it is really important to make the best use of the space.  Much of our decision making is market driven, and all markets are a little different.  Our best summer crops are tomatoes, potatoes (surprisingly!), summer squash and flowers.  We do grow other things, but these are the biggest profit makers - especially when considering labor - and get the most space.  And, year-round, mesclun is a big big item.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm