market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] $90k per acre

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] $90k per acre
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:35:46 -0400

I average about $5K to $7K and acre here in Ohio using polytunnels part of the year and having a widely diversified crop on 3+ acres. I expect to get the gross up to around $10K to $15K in a couple of years when the asparagus, raspberries mature fully. though these are gross, not net figures (and i suspect this is true of the figures OSU is using)

I am not saying such gross cannot happen but you would have to be a great marketeer with a really excellent market in your region to pull it off. And of course perfect years with no storms to rip apart the high tunnels or too much rain/too little rain, deer, etc.. I suspect this guy also gets a lot of free help from students at OSU. I have noticed what universities do is good research but not exactly real world conditions.

Though with the coming food shortages it may be quite possible to net $90K per acre in a couple of years.