market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chisel Plow (?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chisel Plow (?)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:44:58 -0400

hey Allen
locally. . . i got a 9 shank wheel type off ebay for cheap and removed
the shanks i didn't need. very glad i did too. last year was droughty
for us and i couldn't have broken into our clay with the tiller. if you
go with a wheeled chisel just make sure it works with your row spacing
w/ support channels, etc. i took the one i got w/ replacable right/left
hand chisels and made it so the soil curves into the bed. that way when
i till there is more soil in the bed and they form easier and higher (no
bed shaper for me. . . ). it wasn't intentional, but worked out well.
hope that helps
john