market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Was groundhogs, now crickets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Was groundhogs, now crickets
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 13:17:31 -0400

I must admit - I drown the groundhogs, too. Fill up a 50-gallon drum with water, put the cage in, wait 10 min., leave as an offering to the buzzards...

For crickets, use glue traps you find at the hardward store - they work great!

Robert Farr
The Chile Man
http://www.thechileman.com
rbfarr AT erols.com * (540) 668-7160 (w) * (703) 431-6734

Pam Twin Oaks wrote:

Groundhogs can eat so much! After I saw one running off with a whole
cantaloupe in its mouth, I got serious about getting rid of them. I
catch them in a large live trap (initially I borrowed one from the
extension office). For bait I use fruit or winter squash. Part of the
trick is getting the trap level and right in front of their main
entrance. Sometimes, especially once the grass has grown up a bit, it
takes a bit of detective work to figure out where they are coming
from. When I catch one, I take the trap to the pond, throw the whole
thing in near the edge but deep enough. And wait a few minutes till
it's definitely dead. Shooting might be a quicker death, but hunting
is not allowed here either. We have eaten groundhog stew sometimes.
Other times I just bury it.

Now, about crickets - who has good, organic ways of getting rid of
those? We have a problem right now, with them in our hoophouse. We
also get late summer trouble from them and/or grasshoppers outdoors in
August. I looked into Nolo Bait, but it's expensive and slow acting,
especially over a farm size area.

Pam, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, Va. Zone 7