market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Gurney's Cold Set Open Pollinated Tomato

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Gurney's Cold Set Open Pollinated Tomato
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:14:11 -0500

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:05:07 -0400, you wrote:

>Not all soy is GMO; though it may take some looking to find non-GMO
>seed.

I buy soybeans (for the purpose of making soymilk and tofu) which are
non-GMO. I buy them from Fairview Farms.

http://www.fairviewfarms.com/laura%20beans.htm

I'd prefer to buy them locally, but so far as I know, there is no one in
our (basically non-farming) area growing and selling soybeans, so at least
I'm buying them from the grower, and they are non-GMO. (The few farms that
are left here are dairy farms; it's really too hilly for much growing of
crops.)

They may be cheaper than soybeans sold for seed, I don't know.

>(I just looked up Gurney's on Garden Web and they've got very mixed
>ratings. I've never ordered from them myself, so can't give an
>opinion.)

You can also look them up on The Garden Watchdog:
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/
and (specifically) http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/184/ . Note that
they have 159 positives but 161 negatives!

They are part of a group consisting of several other seed companies and
GardensAlive.com. I buy and like several products from GardensAlive. But
I will NEVER again buy from Gurney's or any of their sister seed companies;
once bitten, twice shy.

I ordered blueberry bushes from one of them (can't remember if it was
Gurney's or one of the others) and never received either the bushes or a
refund. I eventually gave up on it.

Pat
-- Northern Pennsylvania
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
We should live in such a way that makes a future possible.'
- Thich Nhat Hanh