market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] micro greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] micro greens
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:55:22 -0400

On Mar 12, 2008, at 7:05 AM, Andrew R. King wrote:

Why is it illegal to sell sprouts or micro greens in any state?

Andy King
Sunflower King's Farm

http://www.sunflowerkingsfarm.com/

PA Zone 6

Probably not illegal to sell them entirely, but may be illegal to sell them without a licensed processing setup due to sanitary concerns. The growing conditions for sprouts are supposedly highly conducive to also growing pathogens, if there were pathogens there to start with. (Check your own state regulations, I don't know whether this is state by state but my guess is that it might be.)

I don't know enough about it to have an opinion on whether the restrictions are justified; I've only grown sprouts for myself, cheerfully eat them raw, and never got sick from them. But then, I've got a well educated immune system, out there in the live dirt all the time.