market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice on small contract w/ Extension

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BCLuton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice on small contract w/ Extension
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:37:45 EST

The Federal Mileage rate was just recently raised again.  You can check that online.

Also if you decide to base your "hourly rate" on the prevailing wages of Extension personnel in your area.(which doesn't seem like a bad idea)  Don't forget to consider that their hourly wage does not reflect the costs of administration or the costs of fringe benefits.(ie. SS,FICA,Disability,retirement,etc.)

Fringe benefits run around 36% (at-least here in NYS where we have VERY HIGH NYS Disability costs)  Your situation may be slightly different depending on the state fringe rates.  CCE in NYS aims for 20 - 30% administration on all grants.  This is spread across many programs and services and isn't just payroll and personnel related but it gives you an idea of the overhead that an agency or business incorporates above and beyond the wage paid.

The moral of the story is that if the arrangement is for Extension to have you as a subcontract (wherein you might have to carry your own commercial general insurance - so check into that)  You'll definitely be entitled to recouping those costs.

Its not uncommon for a subcontract to be compensated at or near twice the going wage rate of a similarly qualified employee.

Alternatively Extension may be able to bring you on as a per diem employee and your wage would reflect an hourly rate at or around a comparable full time position.

Good luck with the program!

Brian