market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sun Gro Organic mixes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sun Gro Organic mixes
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:37:57 -0600

I like it but I don't have much experience with different products.

Marty Kraft Kansas City
On Jan 29, 2008, at 1:30 PM, Rosie Creek Farm wrote:

Fellenz wrote:
Hi,

Anyone have experience with any of the Sun Gro OMRI approved mixes for
starting plants in the greenhouse? It looks like pricing will be better
on the peat based mix from Sun Gro compared to a compost mix from
Vermont Compost, I am curious as to how well they perform for vegetable
starts. If it matters, I am located in Central/Western NY.

Andy

We've used the Sun-gro organic mixes for the last 4 years. I think
they're just fine and they are cost-effective for us to ship - way up
here in Alaska. We usually have to order them by the pallet (30 bales)
and a number of growers up here go in on an order together. The major
greenhouse suppliers all order from sungro so piggybacking another item
on their lists isn't too bad. It ends up costing us ~$32 per bale after
shipping. I've looked into other mixes that might be better but, in the
end, I can't afford them. A couple of our growers thought they had
problems with diseases in one or 2 bales, but I've never had a problem.

Mike Emers
Rosie Creek Farm
Certified Organic
Ester, Alaska