market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 61, Issue 16

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cory and Shanti Rade <whipstone AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 61, Issue 16
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:53:26 -0500

  Hi, I would appreciate some green pepper recommendations you raise and
customers really like. I have moved to SE Georgia and am going to raise peppers
& tomatoes along with some other veggies. I have read many of your tomato
listings but need some peppers. Want bells and a few mild hot and any others you
want to add
  Thanks,
  MaryKay
  Reichard's Blue Barn Farm

We grow 'Fat N' Sassy' (green to red bell) and 'Karma' (green to red) which are both quite large and produce well.  We have grown 'Ace' but found them a bit too small for market sales though good for roasting.  We also grow alot of other colors of bells 'Goldrush goliath' (yellow), 'Islander' (lavender) and 'Gypsy' (light yellow/cream colored).  As for hot peppers we grow a lot, but we like 'Krimzon Lee' (amaheim - a little bit hot), Ancho 'Tiburon', 'Chilepeno' (a large, hot jalapeno), and 'early jalapeno'.  We are trying "Sahuaro" for the first time this year for a mild anaheim type.   We also grow other types of peppers such as bananas, pimientos, and many other hot ones.
After a lot of looking I found fat n' sassy through totally tomatoes, and we find lots of the other varieties from Siegers Seeds and Johnnys.

To Carla and anyone else, we sell many more peppers by bringing a (homemade) chili roaster to the market.  We end up roasting hot peppers and sweet peppers and the smell and sound really draw in the customers.  We sell them in individual 1/2 # bags or larger 4# bags. Of course we are in the Southwest where this might be a little more common, but we add value and make more money this way.  It works especially well for peppers with slight blemishes or that are smaller (the ones the customers pick through and leave behind)
Hope this helps.
Shanti Rade
Whipstone Farm
21640 N. Juniper Ridge Rd.
Paulden, AZ 86334
email: whipstone AT aol.com
website: www.whipstone.com

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 61, Issue 16, Cory and Shanti Rade, 02/15/2008