market-farming - [Market-farming] ISO best hot-day/cool-night climate tomato varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Heininger" <david AT blackmesaranchonline.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ISO best hot-day/cool-night climate tomato varieties
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:38:41 -0700

We’re in northern AZ at 6000’elevation (zone 5-6). Our summer
temps are typically in the high 90’s during the day but often drop into the
low 60’s at night. 30 to 40 degree 12-hour temp swings are not unusual here.

I have not found a good tomato that combines high heat tolerance
with the ability to set fruit well with our lower overnight temps (most
hot-climate types seem to prefer overnights in the 70’s). I’m primarily
looking for excellent eating-types that will not necessarily have to be good
for transport or storage. Indeterminate-type preferred.

I'm sure variety is only half the battle and would also appreciate
any special cultivation tips for growing toms in this climate.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for variety/sources

David Heininger
Black Mesa Ranch
Farmstead Artisan Goat Cheeses
"The Flavor of the White Mountains"
www.BlackMesaRanchOnline.com

  • [Market-farming] ISO best hot-day/cool-night climate tomato varieties, David Heininger, 02/01/2008