market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bringing ground back into production

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bringing ground back into production
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:41:53 -0500

Andrew R. King wrote:
How are you going to handle the weeds?

Andy King
Sunflower King's Farm
PA Zone 6

Good question. I'm a day late and dollar short coming to this party. Ideally, I should have started working this plot last year to start addressing the weed issue. My plan right now for the portion I am thinking of putting into corn and squash is as follows:

> Work up ground early in season once ground is dry enough to get on (probably late April or early May).
> Rework once first flush of weeds germinates
> Come back for a third pass and fit field for planting in late May. Plant corn between Memorial Day and first week of June (My sweet corn goes to my CSA. I usually plant to get 2-3 weeks of corn during the season and later tnan surrounding corn to get my plot a little out of synch with neighbors - it seems to help a little with insect control). > Transplant squash out during the first or second week of June
> Mulch the heck out of the squash. I have mulched heavily the past few years and it really seems to help with weed suppression. Alternately, I may consider plastic mulch, but for the amount of squash I plan to put in it seems like plastic will be more bother than its worth, especially since I do not have a plastic layer and would need to try to find one to rent. > Cultivate corn through-out season, hope and pray that the weather cooperates and it is dry enough to cultivate when needed and wet enough at other times so that the corn grows well.
The other issue I need to work through is a mismatch between tractors and implements. All of my tractors are 40hp and under and my implements are appropriate for <1acre plantings of a range of vegetables. The owner of the ground I will start to use doesn't have a tractor, but has offered the use of a 4 bottom plow, ~12'disk and ~12' cultipacker/harrow which are all too big for my tractor. So another task in the next few months is to look for either a larger tractor or some implements which will work with my 40hp tractor on a larger planting.
Andy