market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cucumber trellises that work?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: carol wilson <carolaw5 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cucumber trellises that work?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:46:08 -0800 (PST)

I have grown cukes on a trellis since my first year doing it on my own...i hated tromping through the field and trying to not step on sprawling vines.  Most of my vines are on woven wire (some 4"X4" & some 2"X4"), I do have some cattle panels as well.  I just used whatever was handy, rather, on-hand.  My rows are oriented east to west and are straight up and down(no leaning).  I try to keep things simple for myself.  I don't have the cattle panels or wire directly on the ground(makes it easier to weed and lay mulch), I raise them up some (7-12"-just eyeball it) and wire them to the posts.  the woven wire is easier to keep up because i bend part of a "square" out & slide it over the post...it pretty much holds itself up but i do wire the bottom on so the wind doesn't take it and pull the plants out of the ground.

I'm not sure that the V you talked about would be nessicary.  I plant my cukes pretty close and they do fine all growing on the same trellis.  I think what might happen with a V orientation is that the cukes would begin their journey upward and then a few might miss the next rung and begin to "lean".  The little tendrils might catch the other side of the V & continue on up.  Then, when they come on you could have cukes in the middle of the V that would be difficult to get to.

I hope this helps.  Trellising is the way to go in my opinion!

Carol in OK  Zone 6

"Though men now possess the power to dominate and exploit every
corner of the natural world, nothing in that fact implies that they have
the right or the need to do so." ----Edward Abbey