market-farming - [Market-farming] Onion Starts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BCLuton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Onion Starts
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:31:06 EST

Hi all...

Just now joining the list...

For the introduction part...

We're a diversified Northeast Organic Farmers Association - Farmers Pledge grower in Central New York. (just south of Syracuse)  We're entering our fourth season.  We sell at the CNY Regional Market, to a limited number of restaurants and began a CSA in 2007.  We grow primarily mixed veggies, herbs, and flowers but also have cane, vine, and tree fruit started.  We also raise limited quantities of pastured poultry, fowl, and pigs.  We farm about 6 - 10 acres quite intensively with hand tools as well as tractor work.  We have a greenhouse and hightunnel.  We're looking to double or even triple our land base simply from a rotational standpoint if / when lease opportunities arise.  Our farm is a mixture of heavier (though well drained) clay soils, and very gravelly / cobbley clay loam soils.  We irrigate with drip tape and some "orchard" mini-sprinklers.  Integrate cover crops, compost, minerals, and manures whenever possible and are strongly committed to soil health improvements.  We're blessed with very biologically active soil that hasn't seen chemicals in 20+ years - we're equally blessed with a diversity and abundance of weeds both annual and perennial.

Okay I ought to stop there....

Anyhow the question that's rolling around currently.

We're at / near capacity in our greenhouse and won't have additional space pre-spring planting.

Has anyone found/used any good organic grower shippers of onion starts.  (ala. dixondalefarms.com - but organic)  We'd need places that are accustom to handling quantity and quality.

Thanks...

Brian

  • [Market-farming] Onion Starts, BCLuton, 01/04/2008