market-farming - [Market-farming] Harlequins and trap crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Harlequins and trap crops
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:27:59 -0800 (PST)

Allan,
Thanks for your response re Harlequin bugs.  I think a trap crop is a very good solution for me.  Then a bit of neem oil on the good stuff will really discourage them as well.  I will check my water PH.  It is well water and likely somewhat hard.

When you have a trap crop full of your target pest, what do you do?  Do you leave it alone or do you kill the pest in its large numbers on the trap crop?

I had wondered whether my neighbors collard greens contributed to the massive numbers of harlequin bugs. Their garden is probably less than 100 yards from mine. They just like growing greens I guess and left them all in the garden to flower last winter without harvesting them.  Probably an area 30 X 100 feet of collards.

I have heard from a farm helper for Provident Organic (on the other side of the peninsula from me) that Jay Martin had the same problem as I did with the bugs.  He was wondering about it too I think and trying to figure out why he had so many.

Thanks,
Hattie Allen
Hattie's Garden

Hattie's Garden
31341 Kendale Rd.
Lewes, DE 19958
302-945-0350

  • [Market-farming] Harlequins and trap crops, Harriet Allen, 12/09/2007