market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse collapse and insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse collapse and insurance
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 14:06:47 -0500

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:46:03 -0500, you wrote:

>Even though Pat's message suggested that insurance companies try to get
>out of paying claims, the reality is that just because a policy holder
>thinks something should be covered by a policy doesn't mean that it is.
>The policy is typically very clear as to what is covered and what isn't.

I must have been unclear; it wasn't my intent to suggest that companies try
to get out of paying claims. My intent was to suggest that the typical
homeowner's policy does not cover a lot of things that many people
(including me) might have assumed would be covered.

AAMOF, I've only know personally of one instance of claims being made on a
homeowner's insurance policy - and it was my mother's claim. The apartment
building in which she lived at the time burned down. The company
(Nationwide) was very good about it and very helpful. Most of my mother's
possessions were OK, she was more fortunate than most of the people who
lived there, but Nationwide paid whatever damage she incurred, and they
paid her rent in a regular, commercial apartment (she had been living in a
Senior Citizen's subsidized housing) until her building was rebuilt and she
could move back into it.

Pat

-- Northern Pennsylvania

Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
the one we have.