market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Managing ground between plastic mulch rows (was Rotor Tiller)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jason Jones" <JJones AT thehomestead.org>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Managing ground between plastic mulch rows (was Rotor Tiller)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:08:46 -0600

We grow on plastic covered beds with 6 feet between each bed. We do this so
that the people our organization serves can participate in planting,
harvesting, weeding, ect. I have tried several combinations of covers for in
between the beds and still have not come up with the best. What I have found
is that for long season crops like okra, onions, and potatoes white clover
works the best as it readily establishes and loves to be mowed. The mowing,
about once every two weeks, keeps the weeds in check until they are not an
issue anymore or the clover beats them out. However, white clover in long
season cucurbits like pumpkins does not work well unless you have the time
and inclination to train your vines along the edges of the beds. For those,
I tried an oats / vetch mix thinking that the vetch was planted late enough
that it wouldn't get crazy and the oats would suppress the weeds and re-seed
for the winter. The vetch didn't do much at all, the oats were not enough to
suppress the weeds, but they did reseed into a nice winter killed cover.
I second the use of cereal rye planted late enough in the spring to avoid
vernalization. This can be tough as Rye vernalization can occur when the rye
is exposed to only 10 days of 45° F night temperatures. It needs a very good
stand to be effective as a smother crop, but can be mowed to control weeds if
necessary. I tried it in between beds of sweet corn this past season and it
did a good job as a cover, mediocre job as a smother. My problem with it was
I tried to space the corn rows too close, about 2 feet between beds, thinking
the rye would be a good smother. It wasn't and I had a fairly bad weed
problem being inadequately controlled with a weed-eater.

Hope this helps.

Jason Jones
Farm Manager
JJones AT TheHomestead.org
(515) 957-3361

The information in this E-Mail message, and any files transmitted with it, is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the use
of the individual(s) named above. If you are the intended recipient, be aware
that your use of any confidential or personal information may be restricted
by state and federal privacy laws. If you, the reader of this message, are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not
further disseminate, distribute, or forward this E-Mail message. If you have
received this E-Mail in error, please notify the sender via E-Mail or by
calling the sender at (515) 967-4369. Please delete the material and all
copies of it from any computer. Thank you.