market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Blights

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Blights
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:05:03 -0400

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:51:14 -0400, you wrote:

>Friends -
>
>Please remind me: have any of you "organic" farmers had any luck
>controlling blights on tomatoes?
>
>If so, how did you do it?

(I'm an organic gardener, not a farmer.)

We held late blight pretty well in check this year by spraying with
Serenade. I've been really pleased by how well it has worked. I didn't
expect to get *any* tomatoes and we've had a lot of them.

www.serenadegarden.com

>From their website: "Serenade Garden Disease Control RTU and Concentrate
are acceptable for organic production by the Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) through the National Organic Program (NOP) of the United
States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and are also listed by the Organic
Materials Review Institute (OMRI)."

We got a late start on it; the plants already had the blight by the time we
started. And the plants are certainly not what they should have been: but
they are still producing a good number of tomatoes for us, after having the
blight since early June.

Next year, I'll spray once a week starting from when we first transplant
the seedlings out.

Friends on another list have told me that they have good results by
spraying preventatively with SoapShield from GardensAlive.com. I don't
know if it's acceptable for organic farming or not.

Pat
--
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.

'Be the change that you want to see in the world'
Mohandas Gandhi