market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Woody Ornamentals

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Woody Ornamentals
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:16:07 -0500

Bailey Nursery has a minimum wholesale order of 1500$...all that stock shipped from either the Minnesota
 or Oregon facilities...no mixed lots from both locations.  Shipping for that amount averages about 900-to 1200$.
Good news...all of the species that you have mentioned strike-root-very easily from cuttings taken from new growth...soon.
You may be able to save yourself some nice money by starting your own cuttings.  (Pussy willow particularly)  (I don't even use a rooting hormone with any of these plants)

Another suggestion....Tennessee has a LOT of shrub and tree nurseries with some excellent bargains to be had, especially at this time of year.  Sometimes we have made a road trip from Northern Illinois with a trailer to Smithville or McMinneville to stock up.  Very good quality, CHEAP prices and no minimums if you are on site to take delivery.  (You can also salvage nursery containers from some suppliers should you need them)  I know a fellow who went on a buying trip to Tennessee without a trailer.  He said that he could buy one there much cheaper than in Northern Illinois; he drove the new trailer home absolutely loaded.  (Remember to bring lots of tarps if you do this.)   (No hardiness problems either with any of the stock that I have handled from Tennessee...everything has wintered over 100%)

Pennsylvania also has many wholesale growers....check with your state Landscapers Association or your Soil and Water Conservation district.

Shawnee, zone 5 but at the moment it feels like Death Valley here.

I am looking for boxwood, dogwood, forsythia, lilac and pussy willow. The size will most likely be rooted cuttings.