market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 55, Issue 6

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Roxann Phillips" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 55, Issue 6
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 10:24:02 -0500

I grew yellow onions for the first time this year and just harvested
them. I was late getting them in the ground, so they're a little small,
but did well enough that next year I want to grow enough for market. How
early in spring do you plant them and how long do you leave them in the
ground? I noticed that the ones which were mostly uncovered and just
sitting on the ground made much better bulbs than the ones I "planted".
It was an accident that these came uncovered, due to a heavy rain early
on and my lack of time to recover them until later when I saw how much
better than the others they were doing. Is that the proper way to plant
them, just barely getting the root end in the soil?? I have sandy loamy
soil, but not much organic matter. I'm planning to mulch heavily with
leaves and hay over the winter, so that will add some. Any advice about
amendments they like will be appreciated.

Roxann, Kingston AR, zone 6b

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 55, Issue 6, Roxann Phillips, 08/04/2007