market-farming - [Market-farming] re why you should buy regular goods

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Azherbldy" <azherbldy AT cox.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] re why you should buy regular goods
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:58:53 -0700

Jackie.....

You are so sadly misinformed.  Although I think your heart is in the right place, your facts are misconstrued and/or just wrong.  I highly recommend you do some further research on pesticide/herbicide/antibiotic/growth hormone use & residues; policies & practices in confined animal feeding operations as well as the effects of our current movement towards huge agribusiness conglomerates.  I think if you do some reading with an open mind, you will change your views.  I'm afraid that your post sounds frighteningly like John Stossel's 20/20 rant about organic food from several years back.....a report that he & ABC were forced to take back & apologize for on the air.   If I may, I'd like to suggest you read at least one of the following books.  Although these books are just a few of the many I've found very enlightening, they are all very, very easy reads (except for the subject matter).   "Eat Here.  Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasues in a Global Supermaket" by Brian Halweil; "The Way We Eat.  Why our Food Choices Matter" by Peter Singer & Jim Mason; "Real Food.  What to Eat and Why" by Nina Planck and/or 'Animal, Vegetable, Miraclel.  A Year of Food Life" b Barbara Kingsolver.  You might also invest in a subscription to Organic Gardening Magazine -- or -- just become a careful reader of your newspaper, where recent stories about the FDA & USDA should be enough to scare anyone into eating organically!

Marta
Sustainable Farming Advocate