market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cut flower planting schedule

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cut flower planting schedule
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 18:52:17 GMT

Hi Andy,
I'm a fairly new flower grower myself, (2nd year) but I can tell you a
little bit. I joined the ASCFG. Excellent group, with loads of info
that really is helpful.
Check the seed catalogs for info as well. Germaina has one that is
strictly cut flowers. It has quite a bit of info on succession
planting and when to plant things out. I probably look at it more than
anything else.
I seed sunflowers about every 10 days. Zinnias I seed about every 6
weeks.Think of zinnias the same way as squash. When I do another
planting of squash and cukes I do zinnias.
There are a million different sunflowers so you just have to find what
you or your customers like. I like the Pro Cut series from Johnny's.
They are ready in about 50-60 days and while not a huge flower, at
least here, they are quick, reliable and I love the colors. For a
bigger sunflower I like Full Sun, also from Johnny's.
You really just have to experiment. I have found that I don't really
need the succession plantings on things like Cramers Amazon or
Ageratums. Same with Gomphrena. These are things I use as filler in my
bouquets and they keep putting on new flowers, at least so far.
Some flowers, like snapdragons I seeded in my greenhouse in January,
planted out in Mid March and had nice stems by Mothers Day.
Larkspur should be direct seeded in the fall, about Oct. 15th for me
here in Oklahoma, Zone 6B or 7, we seem to be right on the line there.
I hope this helps,
Carla