market-farming - [Market-farming] forgot to mention seed source

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] forgot to mention seed source
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:40:35 -0500

Most snapdragons should reseed to one extent or another no matter what the original source of the seed.  And, obviously, some years better than others.  If you don't have snapdragons-and the other hardy annuals reseeding, probably:

tilling or cleaning of the planting beds is removing most of the season's seed.  Or Critters are eating it.

We used to designate annuals into classifications...hardy, half hardy etc.  The hardy annuals are often classified as "old fashioned cutting garden"  etc.  Old fashioned indeed!  What's old fashioned about letting the plants work for me?  I need all the labor help that I can get-allowing a patch of larkspur to come up on their own is fine with me.

That said.....although I do support various seed companies and try lots of new ones every year, my dependable vendors who get the bulk of my orders every season are : Johnny's Selected Seeds...of whom I cannot write enough good things, Stokes...good for individual colors, Cook's ,and Nicholas Herb Garden and of course, Seed Saver's Exchange, and Seeds of Change.

I  order from Native Seed Search and Monticello  (twinleaf.org ) heirloom varieties for the pre 1850's Heritage Garden where I also work.   Monticello has lightening fast service, but they aren't cheap.

Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!

  • [Market-farming] forgot to mention seed source, Shawnee Flowerfarmer, 07/15/2007