market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hortonova

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Coylie Ries" <sassyniowa AT iowatelecom.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hortonova
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:17:58 -0600

Shawnee,

Could you tell us more about self sowing snapdragons? Do you pinch them back to get longer stems or just let them grow as they are? Also where do you get your seeds from?

Coylie, zone 4

I have used Hortonova netting for peas the same way...metal stakes every 8-10 feet. Lots of labor getting it set up every year; last many seasons when taken down and stored under cover.

I have also used it horizontally to support cut flowers....at 15 and 30 inches above 4 foot wide planting beds. I sometimes left it in place over the winter for biennials...sweet william, canterbury bells, bells of Ireland, self sowing snapdragons, larkspur etc that get started early when the weather may make it difficult to get into the fields. This is also labor intensive to install, but the Hortonova works beautifully to keep the flowers from slumping and sagging. (Some of those labor costs can be recovered during harvest as the netting facilitates faster cutting and dead heading.) (Those flower beds are well mulched...no machine cultivation for weed control.)

Shawnee, zone 5