market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market question
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:28:57 GMT

We have a board of directors for our market, which consists of the
members. They have done the bulk of the work. We all pay a yearly
fee, of I think twenty dollars, and the past couple of years we now
pay a weekly fee, 5 on Wednesday, 10 on Saturday. This money goes for
what little advertising we do. This year we received a grant from the
Dept. of Ag which we all voted to earmark that money for
advertising/market promotions.
The city of Stillwater lets us use a park for our market. We can only
use this park for 7 months out of the year, and only until 1 each
market day. We have gone to a year round market, which means moving
come Nov.1 to another location. Very few of our vendors participate
in the winter market, but we hope that will change.
Three years ago we set aside a very small amount of money to hire a
market manager to handle the advertising, fee collection, etc...
unfortunately we can't pay enough to keep someone in that position.
We are now on our 3rd manager. This year it is a fellow vendor so we
are hopeful she will continue in this position. Our market is one of
the oldest farmers markets in Oklahoma, so we have a fairly steady
customer base, but we want to see it grow even more!
I hope this helps,
Carla