market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic Curing and Storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic Curing and Storage
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 01:07:16 +0000

How do folks in humid areas cure and store garlic if you're not selling it right away?

I first learned growing garlic on CSA farms in Oregon; there's dry summers there, so curing the garlic was no problem, we'd hang the garlic up in barns and then take it down to clean it as needed for the weekly pickups.

When I was in Missouri, we had humidity, but we had a large walk-in cooler that we could store the garlic in soon after we'd cured it.

Now I'm in Virginia, and again having the humidity... but this time we don't have a large enough walk-in to store garlic. Last summer we kept fans blowing on the garlic all July and August while it cured out in a big storage shed. The garlic kept in good shape... but it dried down more than usual, and running the fans all summer used a lot of electricity. (Less than a walk-in though!)

Any advice muchly appreciated!
Thanks
Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm