market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Home Grown Kansas! <hgkansas AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Salad Mix
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 06:20:52 -0700 (PDT)

That is LZ by the way - short for Elzie - Pat is short for Patty - not a problem, happens all the time.  I snap a line with a chalk line - not easy to do on the sides and then cut the barrel with a circular saw.  Yes, we built a stand using angle iron and connect them to stand together rigid with angle iron - there is approx. a 2' space between the barrels with a table top (if you will) for a place to sit the crates .  Installed drains with strainers.  We harvest into milk crates - they stack for transporting - we move most everything in milk crates - a sink will hold 2-4 milk crates.  An old direct drive washing machine works very well for a spinner.  We put the greens in a bed sheet - drop it in the machine and turn on the spin cycle.  Although in a pinch we just swing the milk crate back and forth - which works very well.  Vented bags are important.

Thanks for asking,
Elzie & Pat
Home Grown Kansas! LLC
Wichita, Kansas

Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net> wrote:
Thanks for this great information, Liz and Pat!

Two questions for me, the guy who needs to ask everything!

How do you cut your barrels and do you make stands for them?

What spinner do you use for your greens?

Thanks!

-Allan