market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 51, Issue 17

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 51, Issue 17
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:45:55 -0400

I've found that the biggest problem with attracting vendors is that you
have to almost guarantee that they can sell their produce. Farmers around
here aren't willing to invest the time and money into market gardening
until the market is thriving, and it won't thrive until we have enough
vendors. Even a once a week market isn't enough for a serious
farmer...produce ripens continuously, and a farmer has to have a lot of
cooler space (not to mention holding produce for almost a week) if the
market is only open once a week. In a perfect world, there would be a
mid-week market and a weekend market, with lots of vendors and lots of
customers (and someone to be home farming while I'm at market :-)).

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA