market-farming - [Market-farming] Belgium Endive

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: no one <xkarmafarmerx AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Belgium Endive
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 06:41:43 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like to start by saying the poultry information recently given was very useful for me.  The farm I'm managing would like to raise animals starting next season, and I wouldn't know where to look to find real life information about such otherwise.
I was wondering if anyone has grown belgium endive before?  I understand that you grow a root - witloof endive - and then force them in the dark to produce a chicon, but have no experience growing, forcing, or selling them.  Are there requirements / restrictions for the environment used to force them, and do the chicons store well, or would I have to keep a continuous amount in various stages of "sprouting"?  Thanks for any suggestions
John DiZazzo
Roundabout Farm /
Compassionate Roots
Keswick, VA

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

  • [Market-farming] Belgium Endive, no one, 04/22/2007