market-farming - [Market-farming] pastured poultry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] pastured poultry
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:05:13 +0000

Now I have a different question. Maybe this isn't the right list because it
seems to be only gardening questions lately, but I would like to explore the
possibility of growing out broilers for local buyers. Does everyone process
their own chickens on-site, or are there processors that will do small
batches for a farmer? I'm thinking I will not want to do more than 500 birds
at a time. Also, what kinds of regulations are involved with raising that
quantity of chickens on a 10-20 acre pasture? There won't be the typical
chicken houses like the Tyson growers use.

Roxann