market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Charcoal in soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Charcoal in soil
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:00:19 -0500

Hi, Pat!

I think at the moment, due to the global warming thing, it's not considered to be socially responsible to set large patches of land on fire.

Terra Preta charcoal can be prepared for use in the US by slow burning certain woods in 55 gallon charcoal makers (home made devices) The emission is much less with a slow burn. Better still, though, is to think of using coal dust (NutriCarb) or bio-char, produced by a ZERO emission pyrolisis oven (www.eprida.org). YOu're looking at incorporating something like 20% by volume char into your soil to reach terra preta values, so you most likely will need a source other than field debris.

Everyone should note that char raises pH and terra preta depends on a very active microbial community. You do not want to bring your pH above 7, as far as I know. (The bad amazonian soils, of course, have very low pH.) -Allan

Allan,
I realize it might not be exactly what you mean, but as a kid we burned off our garden beds. Did this put some usable charcoal into the beds? I still do this with my tomato bed. I have straw & newspaper under and between the rows. Come fall, I drop the fencing and burn the whole area. Then apply the aged manure and compost for the next years growth and get it ready for spring. Please could you share a little more about it?
So much nicer than till vs. shoot down.
Thanks, Pat Ohio Now recognized as zone 6.