market-farming - [Market-farming] spaders and soil oxidation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Goodwill at Homefields Farm <sbreneman AT yourgoodwill.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] spaders and soil oxidation
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:02:43 -0500

we have been relying on a Celli spader for all tillage for 5 acres of veg. I'd be interested in other's observations on their long term effects on the soil. My current thinking is that spaders are superior to rototillers as far as the soil crumb structure goes, but probably oxidize the organic matter just about the same? (spaders really fluff up the soil)

Seems like a chisel plow and shallow rototilling for seed bed prep might be no worse than a spader. Thoughts?

Scott

  • [Market-farming] spaders and soil oxidation, Goodwill at Homefields Farm, 02/06/2007