market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] no till

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] no till
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:42:36 -0800 (PST)

>Reducing work and cost of machinery should be a goal to work
> for. I just don't think the typical mechanical market growing approach is
> the last word everywhere. And I want market growers to keep doing better
> and get enough return on their time and investment to stay on the land and
> keep growing.
>
> paul tradingpost AT lobo.net
> OK...so I'll throw my 2 cents worth in....I bought my property in 75 and
it came with chemically worked fields and a resident cropper. We were
zone 4 then, 5 now with warming. The soil is 30 ft deep sand/ash. The
first year we were here, I watched the "experienced farmer" plow my sad
field and got to watch a large layer of topsoil blow off into the trees
and the house. I hadn't read Coleman, but it was evident these methods
were what caused the dustbowl. I tell everyone that my primary crop is
to grow friable soil, and the only way I've been able to do this is with
as minimal disturbance as possible. Layering, mulching, raised beds,
intensive planting, green manure, composting, and we're still growing 30
years down the line....