market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bats for cucumber beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bats for cucumber beetles
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:27:10 -0600 (CST)

My bats nest, roost, hangout? on a wood beam two inches below the tin roof of
my corn crib that I converted to a machine shed. Imagine spending 15 hours a
day with your head up against a hot tin roof. The bats like to look down and
watch me work during the day. They poop all over my tractors and I have
become somewhat of an expert of what they eat since I have to hose off the
tractors every day. Bat poop is almost completely made up of hard insect
shells like wings, leaving me to think that beetles are their main prey...
Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton NJ.