market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Certified scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Certified scales
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:26:23 -0600

One of the best purchases we have ever made is electronic scales.  Before we bought the unit, we had a “for trade” hanging scale.  Every sale had to figured on the calculator by pounds and percentages of pounds (for instance, 4 ounces is .25 pounds – others aren’t so easy and we had 3X5 cards with each ounce’s percentage!)  With the new scale, we put the produce on, key in a price (it can be pre-programmed, but our prices fluctuate week to week, so we keep it simple) and the total is displayed to us and the customer.  It runs on batteries (last over a season) and AC and is also helpful packing our 1/2lb bags of mesclun and spinach on harvest day.  Almost everything is weighed.  We could use a second scale on busy days, but having a few people in line isn’t necessarily a bad thing – make it look like our booth is a happening place!  I don’t think we’ve ever had someone decide not to wait the few minutes it takes.  Mostly they socialize, exchange recipes, etc. - maybe even buy something else.  We do have several calculators.  On a busy day, we’ll have Paul, my brother, an intern and me selling produce, plants and flowers.  My Dad even shows up occasionally, and having the electronic scale allows everyone to accurately weigh and price produce.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm