market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How was your summer/flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How was your summer/flowers
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 15:48:10 GMT

We grew cut flowers for the first time this year. I'm still learning and trying to figure it all out, but the ones we grew that did very well were: Benary's Giant Zinnias. I would grow the separate colors rather than the mix. We did the mix and it makes it harder to do bouquets. We also grew celosia, sunflowers and gomphrena. These are all flowers that grow will in Oklahoma and are fairly fool proof. We did have trouble with cucumber beetles eating the sunflowers but I have read that you can cut them earlier and avoid that problem.

The flowers were a nice addition to our stand. If nothing else, people would stop and look at them, and I think that helps draw people in.

We plan on adding more flowers next year, and hopefully do a better job with succession plantings.

Carla

  • Re: [Market-farming] How was your summer/flowers, cjmaness AT juno.com, 11/09/2006