market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market Sales
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 06:20:20 -0600

We notice that market traffic drops about the time school starts - 2nd
week of August here. Vendors also have production drop the first of
September - which exacerbates the problem. I wish we had an answer, but
in over 12 years of marketing at Farmers' Markets, it doesn't seem to
change. I will have to say that our personal email ordering system
allows us to move most of what we have and brings SOME extra traffic to
the market, but not a lot. Mesclun is a big draw for us and the quality
really starts getting better at this time of year with the summer heat
past.

Even TV advertisement doesn't seem to reverse the trend. I think folks
are so busy with school and extra curricular activities that once school
starts, they just don't make the time to come to the market.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Does anyone else have a problem with market sales this time of year? We
have noticed that our sales slump every year around this time.

Carla