market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salsa with tomatillos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salsa with tomatillos
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:08:26 -0400

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:27:32 -0500, you wrote:

>HI
>I have a lot of tomatillos and don't know what to do with them. They
>were volunteers from last year.
>Most of my customers are the same. Anyone have any good and simple
>recipes I can give out with the tomatillos?
>Nancy, Sulphur Hill Farm Garden, zone 5

You can add them to ratatouille. You can roast them in the oven with other
veggies - this is very good, btw. You can add them to chili, if you wish -
just cut them in half and toss them in when the chili will cook for about
15 more minutes. You can add them to a stir-fry. I've used them in all
these ways.

I bake chicken pieces in the oven with chunks of carrots, onion and
potatoes (with some white wine and herbs) - I add tomatillos to this when I
have them. (We grow them so we have a lot of them sometimes.)

I haven't actually made salsa with them, but of course the classic use for
them is in salsa verde.

Salsa verde recipes: http://tinyurl.com/ntg3g

Pat
Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/