market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Political or Religious groups at Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Political or Religious groups at Market
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:13:35 -0500

One way to look at a farmer's market is as a place for people to meet, and
as a sort of town commons - where folks can talk. The spot can be used to
encourage community and democracy - there are ways to foster these things
while still ensuring that people are not pestered.

Perhaps there could be a common place for folks to display political
literature, and/or religious literature.

In our county, we attempted to do this in libraries too - we invited all the
campaigns, all parties, to display their literature. This was a project of
the League of Women Voters.

We sure do need more respectful political discourse in our country - and a
place where people can learn more about issues.

Jill Bussiere, Wisconsin