market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] scapes was shallots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] scapes was shallots
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:37:56 -0400

On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

How do you market garlic scapes? I had them at market for 2 weeks, bagged
up in 1/4 bags, and spent a lot of time explaining what they were and how
to use them. Not one person bought any. Another vendor had them, also, and
no one bought hers, either.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm
Tioga County, PA

I bunch them, about 9 or 10 to a bunch, held with a twistie; currently at a dollar a bunch. (Price has been gradually going up.) They might show up better this way than in a bag?

When I first started bringing them, hardly anyone bought any. I still have to explain them; but I'm selling more of them every year. I've noticed this with a lot of unusual stuff. Customers who were brave and tried something then talk their friends into it.

They're also what I call a "stopper": the customer stops at your stall, if only to ask, "What on earth is that?" Once stopped, they may buy something else; even if they don't buy the stopper.