market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farming] eggs...heirloom tom's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farming] eggs...heirloom tom's
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 05:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

> I get $1 per tomato..5/$4...it works
out well and I sell out every year.

Courtney, selling out is an indication you need to
raise your prices. Keep raising until you have just a
few tomatoes left over then you've reached your
maximum price point. Why sell for less?? Many folks
won't buy until the price is HIGH enough. They
associate quality with price and they're willing to
pay it. These are the customers you want. They don't
argue prices...they're educated enough to think beyond
the walmart mindset.

As far as eggs here, out in the country with few
populated areas, farmers here still can get $2.50/dz
selling from fridges on the back porch and the honor
system. There are few farmers markets to sell through
here. Most of these are from pastured poultry.

Speaking of which we just got in our first batch of 50
chicks, with another batch due in 2 weeks. We've been
told by several sources that we can get just as good a
price for live chickens as we can processed. This
will be interesting to see if its true.

Liz Pike
Hillsville VA