market-farming - [Market-farming] eggs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lhh AT hughes.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] eggs
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:09:33 -0400

I had someone just this morning complain about $4 a dozen eggs. Saying that's what they pay for them at Whole Foods and asking 'shouldn't eggs be cheaper direct from the farmer?'

I replied that I appreciated them sharing that information with me and that if Whole Foods was charging $4 a dozen then I probably should raise my price to $4.50 a dozen because my eggs were a whole bunch fresher and they could come out and see that my chickens were actually pastured. "Ask the manager as Whole Foods," I said, "how many miles his eggs traveled to get to his store, also ask him if he has actually seen the 'farm' where the his eggs are 'pastured'? And while you are at it," I said. 'Ask what day the eggs on his shelf were layed."

This gave the person with the complaint food for thought. And since I have more demand for my eggs than supply I wasn't much worried about turning away the potential customer.