market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lize and the big cat.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lize and the big cat.
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:00:27 -0600

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:53:50PM -0800, Liz Pike wrote:
> Hey Bill, sorry, just now catching up on email...that
> device is worth its weight in gold! We've had no new
> deer activity around the blueberries since I installed

After seeing mention of the device, I searched out and bought one. And
planted a ~500' row of sacrificial grocery store pinto beans. The
noise maker is near one end of the row so I don't expect the entire row
to survive. I will report later in the season; right now, the beans
are barely up. No deer damage noticed so far.

If these things DO really work, they will be impressively cost
effective. To complete an electric deer fence around my problem area
would be $10K+; even ten to twenty noise makers looks pretty cheap.

Deer pressure this past season was worse than I ever imagined it could
be. They completely destroyed tomatoes, squash, okra, spinach, dill,
lettuce. They even did some damage to garlic. Only onions, arugula,
mustard, and onions escaped. Years ago, I abandoned attempts to grow
peas and beans without deer protection.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 89 days 4 hours 37 minutes