market-farming - [Market-farming] Non profit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Non profit
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:57:40 -0800 (PST)

> I'm unaware of any farmers market associations that have achieved
> non-profit status with the IRS. It really doesn't make sense to have
> non-profit market associations. After all, the motive IS profit for
> members.
The Sandpoint Id.(town next to ours) Farmer's Market is a Non-profit
organization whose "motive" is to provide a functional market venue for a
local sustainable food supply. As a non-profit they are able to take
advantage of a considerable amount of grant opportunities that are only
available to a non-profit. Through these grants their market was able to
hire a paid manager who was able to greatly expand the market. We (in
Bonners Ferry) have been looking into changing our status. In a lot of
cases with the grants it is also possible to utilize a "sponsor
organization" which could be any established non-profit that is willing to
handle the funds.