market-farming - [Market-farming] blueberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Strawberry Wine <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: MF <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] blueberries
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:18:29 -0800 (PST)

We got the blueberries halfway cleaned out today.  They're so full of blackberry canes and trash roses its a wonder they've produced anything over the past few years, let alone the huge volume picked on such scrawny plants last summer.  I can't wait to see what they produce with a little care.

These bushes were planted 10-12 years ago but never tended so they look more like 2-3 year old plants.  Would it be advantageous this year (though I'd hate to do it) to deflower the bushes to keep them from fruiting to encourage better root growth??  Some of the bushes are no more than a couple of twigs though they all have bright red growth and appear healthy...just stunted.  We won't be able to run irrigation out to them until next year which I'm not too concerned about; just removing the competition for moisture should greatly improve their performance even without additional irrigation.
The bushes will be heavily mulched once all the cleanup is completed so that will help too.

I'd like to take cuttings from some of the healthier, larger bushes to get more plants started for future expansion.  Is this the time of year to do it?? Any tips, hints??

Liz Pike
Joe Rotenberry
Hillsville VA

Yahoo! Photos

  • [Market-farming] blueberries, Strawberry Wine, 01/16/2006