market-farming - [Market-farming] germination problems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter <peter AT oldshawfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] germination problems
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:40:42 -0500

I have trouble getting spinach and scallions to germinate in the field. I have tried both Gateway seeders and one of those little four row precision seeders you push on the end of a broomstick (which we use mostly for salad greens). Sometimes a whole seeding will come up, and other times almost nothing. I have played around with depth, and I keep good water on stuff, but still am plauged with inconsistency. I broke down last year and started doing some spinach from transplants, just to make sure we had an even supply over the course of the season. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Peter Griffin
Old Shaw Farm

  • [Market-farming] germination problems, Peter, 01/14/2006