market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harvest etc videos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harvest etc videos
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:59:30 -0500

On Jan 9, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Kevin Wilson wrote:

John wrote:
I think it would be incredibly useful to have
footage of not only "professional vegetable
harvesters" but of different set-ups, tools, etc.
for harvest and post-harvest handling on small and
mid-size market farms.

Yes, this would be super-useful! There is so much info out there on growing,
and so little on harvest and post harvest: the first thing I discovered in
my first year was that I could grow things and sell them just fine, but the
challenge was harvesting and prepping them!

That would indeed be extremely useful. During harvest season I'm always way too busy to run around and see how other people are doing it.

I have seen one such video at a NOFA-NY conference (sorry I don't have the reference now); but it was all on one farm, and, while it was interesting and had some points useful to me, everything was set up on the assumption that there was a large harvest crew. As I'm usually working either alone or with one or at most two other people, I couldn't use a lot of the techniques. Also, it was all harvest, no planting or weeding stuff included; and for some of the timeconsuming crops I was most interested in, their technique was, "we let the CSA members harvest this". Even for CSA farms, the members might want some tips, too. (It's possible my description of this video has some holes in it; it was some years ago that I saw it, so my memory might not be accurate.)