market-farming - [Market-farming] Rosemary from Seed - don't do it!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <adriana AT chefsgreens.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Rosemary from Seed - don't do it!
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:20:40 -0600

Rosemary started from seeds is sloooooooow! Don't do it unless you want plants for 2010! Plug trays or rooted cuttings is the way to go for potted plan sales. Sources - Yoder Brothers, Richter's Herbs. Tuscan Blue is a good all around rosemary but check your climate in case you need a more cold-hearty variety.

If you plan to sell rosemary for culinary herbs this year the rooted and plug-started plants won't be big enough either. Hurry, hurry, hurry to Home Depot and see if they have any of those Christmas Topiary rosemary plants left over from the holidays.. They will be mature enough and large enough to use for cut rosemary production.

I want to start some rosemary plants to have to sell rosemary, and maybe
plants. I want culinary use (and maybe climbing for topiary). For culinary,
shall I just get seed from Johnnys or Fedco, or go for a specific variety? I
don't need plug trays full, just a few plants.

Anyone have a good source of herb plugs that will allow you to buy
less than a flat at a time? (Or one that will let you buy just one
flat?) Thanks -Allan

Adriana

  • [Market-farming] Rosemary from Seed - don't do it!, Adriana, 01/06/2006